Monday, 2 October 2017

The Katie Haines Memorial Trust



The Katie Haines Memorial Trust exists because of a tragic accident.  On 18 February 2010, just two months after her wedding, Katie Haines died of accidental Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning at her home.

Later the same year, Katie's husband and parents founded The Katie Haines Memorial Trust to promote awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide. 

The Vision

The vision of the Katie Haines Memorial Trust is 'that everyone in the UK understands the dangers of carbon monoxide and takes preventative measures to make sure that they do not fall victim to it, such as buying an audible alarm, having burning appliances checked regularly and taking an alarm when travelling abroad.'

Holiday Packing

I was aware we needed a working carbon monoxide alarm in our home for many years but until I heard about this campaign, I had never thought of taking an alarm with me when I travel.  Those sitting on The Katie Haines Memorial Trust table at the Fortycubed Charity Gala Dinner will get a CO alarm to take home with them.  I hope it becomes a regular part of their holiday packing list.



Zoe and Katie


It was through Zoe that I first heard about The Katie Haines Memorial Trust and she shared with me a little of their story.

'I first met Katie around late 2005/early 2006 through mutual friends, but it was only a year or so after this that we became close friends.

Katie was fun loving with an amazing smile that could light up a room when she walked in. She was a journalist for many years and was a press officer at Oxford University when she passed away. She had a love of sport – an avid Arsenal fan and played netball for Wokingham. 

I was lucky enough to attend her wedding on 12th December 2009. Katie and her husband Richard then had an amazing honeymoon in Brazil and Argentina. Shortly after returning from honeymoon Katie celebrated her 31st birthday on 31st January 2010. 

My husband and I were looking forward to hearing all about their adventure over a planned dinner date, but sadly this was never to happen. Katie’s life was tragically cut short on the evening of 18th February 2010 when she died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Since then her family set up a charity and have been working so hard to raise awareness of carbon monoxide, to ensure everyone understands the dangers and has an audible alarm in their home. 

To find out more about the charity please visit the website and to make a donation as part of the fortycubed challenge please follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment